Looking for the best double din head unit? You've come to the right place, we highlight some of the best ones out there!
One of the downsides of upgrading your car stereo system is the cost that goes into the head unit - if you really want to get a good one, you have to shell out some serious money.
However, there really are great products in every price range. But if you're a budget-minded shopper and don't want to splurge on the most expensive double din stereo out there, you don't need to feel left out.
Since we've done the research so you don't have to, and we've figured out a few models that make up the best double din head unit of 2021.
If we have missed a cheap double head unit you love, let us know in the comments!
Reviews of the Top 10 Best Double DIN Head Units
The BOSS Audio Systems BV9358B Car DVD Player has a 6.2-inch touchscreen display with Bluetooth functionality that allows you to make calls and answer them hands-free. It also integrates seamlessly with your car’s sound system. This means that you can hear whatever it is that you’re playing on your phone via your car’s speakers for optimal convenience.
One thing in particular that stands out about the BV9358B is that you can use it to play a wide variety of formats. It even supports CD and DVD discs via its disc drive, which is a rarity in a double-din head unit. You’ll also find several inputs and outputs for other formats, which, when paired with the interface and equalizer, lets you customize sound quality however you would like it.
Overall, this is an excellent unit with a lot of functionality that will save you some cash with the only downside being the glitchy and delayed touchscreen display.
- 6.2 Inch LCD Touchscreen Monitor
MP3 Player, CD, DVD, WMA, USB, SD, Auxiliary Input
AM/FM radio receiver
Front, rear & subwoofer pre-amp outputs
80 watts x 4 Max Power
3-year platinum online dealer warranty
- Bluetooth - Answer / make calls and be hands-free with no distractions. The built-in microphone picks up your voice and your car speakers let you hear the person on the other side. Play and control your music and apps like Spotify / Pandora wirelessly
- Media Playback - Watch your choice of videos through the DVD player, play music through your bluetooth device, pop in a CD or use the USB/SD ports for more audio alternatives. Tune into the AM/FM radio stations for up to date music/news/sports
- Auxiliary - Compatible with the audio output from smartphones as well as MP3 Players
- Inputs - USB, SD, auxiliary, audio/video, rear and front camera (Camera sold separately). The steering wheel interface allows you to use the existing functions on your steering wheel (interface module sold separately. We recommend the metra ASWC-1)
- Outputs - Use the front, rear & subwoofer pre-amp outputs to hook up your speakers (front left/front right and rear left/rear right) and subwoofer. The video output allows you to connect an extra screen for more viewing capability
Coming from a reputable brand, the Sony XAV- AX100 features a 6.4 inch screen that comes with responsive touch controls that let you switch between functions.
This touch screen is very responsive as compared to head units from other brands. The receiver will respond with just the slightest touch, but you need to ensure that the screen is clean.
The Sony XAV- AX100 offers hands free control for most functionality. Once installed in the car, you can make calls, start music, send texts, and do a range of other operations with the voice control.
When it comes to sound quality, Sony XAV-AX100 offers a powerful sound thanks to its 4 * 55 W Dynamic Reality amp. It is equipped with a built-in 10 band equalizer that allows you to customize the sound to your preference. Additionally, the dynamic stage organizer allows you to enjoy quality music from various setups on your dashboard.
What makes this double DIN head unit popular is the fact that it is compatible with both Apple and Android headphones. What’s more, this unit is rear reverse camera ready to help you pack your car in reverse.
- 6.4” touchscreen
Dynamic stage organizer
Dynamic reality amp (4 * 55 W)
10 band equalizer
Voice control with Android auto and Apple CarPlay
AM/FM tuner: AM12/ FM18
- Voice control with Apple Car Play and Android Auto
- Control and view everything with the 6.4" touch screen.Tuner features preset:FM18/AM12
- Get powerful sound with the 4 x 55 W Dynamic Reality Amp. Audio Level Adjustment: Yes (-8 dB to +18 dB)
- Create virtual speakers on your dashboard with the Dynamic Stage Organizer
- Ergonomic rotary dial for distraction-free operation
This product offers a plethora of features and is compatible with both Android and iPhone devices. Overall, Pioneer is a brand you can rely on for quality audio. The Pioneer AVH-210EX is a premium head unit that includes an internal amplifier and lets you enjoy wireless audio streaming.
An impressive spec of this head unit is the built-in Bluetooth system that lets you play your favorite music via your smartphone.
Plus, it enables you to make a hands-free calling and other tasks without taking your eyes off the road.
Pioneer AVH-210EX accommodates a 6.2-inch screen that is responsive and displays easily accessible information. Besides, it has 5 display colors. However, reading information on the display can be difficult during bright days.
If you have two phones, you will appreciate the dual phone connection that lets you connect two phones simultaneously, so you can use them both at once.
This model supports various digital media playback like CDs, Bluetooth, and USB. In this way, you can play music from numerous sources. Besides, when the parking brake is engaged, you will be able to watch DVDs.
- Video remote control
iPhone and android compatibility
Built in Bluetooth
Inputs: rear UBS input, back-up camera input, rear AUX input, wired remote input
Outputs: composite video output
5 display colors with 112 key colors
13 band equalizer
Advanced audio distribution profile (A2DP)
- 6. 2" WVGA Touchscreen with LED Backlight Display
- Bluetooth hands-free calling & audio streaming
- 5-Band Graphic Equalizer
- Hands-Free Calling and Audio Streaming
The Kenwood DMX4707S comes with a 6.8-inch touchscreen with responsive touchscreen controls that are convenient to control even without you having to look. It supports an optional backup camera wired to it and will add in some helpful parking guidelines just in case you need some help estimating the distance when backing up.
The DMX4707S is relatively lightweight too, which should make installation go a lot easier. This is especially true if your car has a standard double DIN hole already. If not, you’ll be able to fit it just fine using the necessary adapters.
While it’s a shame that the DMX4707S does not support CDs, it does have both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. This means that you can stay focused on the road and still do things that you normally would on your phone using the unit’s intuitive voice control functionality. Plus, because it supports screen mirroring via an app on Android devices, you’ll be able to mirror whatever it is that you’re looking at on your phone and display it on the receiver’s screen.
Even though it’s not the cheapest, going more expensive than the DMX4707S won’t yield you much more.
If you had to set a maximum budget, we recommend not looking past what’s offered beyond the price of the DMX4707S anymore.
- 6.8-inch LCD touchscreen monitor with backlighting
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
Mirroring OA for Kenwood Android app
Rear view camera input with parking guidelines
- 13 Band Graphic EQ and Time Alignment
- Apple CarPlay is a safer way to use your iPhone in the car. Simply talk to Siri or touch the receiver’s display to get directions from Apple Maps, make phone calls, listen to voicemail, send and receive texts, and listen to music from Apple Music or your favorite 3rd party streaming services like Pandora and Spotify, all in a way that allows you to stay focused on the road. With the latest iOS version (iOS 12.0 and higher), 3rd party navigation apps like Google Maps and Waze are also supported
- Android Auto was designed with safety in mind, helping you to minimize distractions and stay focused on the road. KENWOOD’s multimedia receivers combine an intuitive voice controlled interface with a large touch screen and superior sound quality, making it the perfect complement for your in-car life. You can even listen to and control music from your favorite streaming services like Pandora and Spotify. Navigate to where you need to with Google Maps or Waze
- Using the Mirroring OA for Kenwood app, you can mirror the content from your Android (OS 7.0+) smartphone onto the touchscreen monitor of the Kenwood DMX4707S, you'll be able to enjoy video and audio playback. Your compatible Android smartphone must be connected to the DMX4707S via USB and Bluetooth. In addition to mirroring content from your Android smartphone, you'll also be able to control your Android device from the in-dash receiver's touchscreen
- Rear View Camera Input with Parking Guide Lines - An optional rear view camera enhances safety while backing up and monitoring behind your vehicle. Built-in, adjustable parking guidelines further add to its effectiveness. 13 Band Graphic EQ and Time Alignment - Use the graphic equalizer to tailor the sound quality to your unique tastes. Additional sound staging is available with the Time Alignment feature, designed to provide optimal sound performance
- The Kenwood DMX4707S features a fixed 6.8" widescreen capacitive touchscreen LCD with LED backlighting. The LCD touchscreen has a resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB with 1,152,000 total pixels. The capacitive touchscreen LCD provides a high contrast ratio, crystal clear display, and vivid text as well as highly responsive touchscreen operation
Alpine is a well-recognized manufacturer of quality automotive electronics and recently for automotive audio systems. The Alpine iLX-107 digital receiver features a 7-inch super responsive touchscreen that is very easy to use. Although it is on the expensive side, it is packed with great features that make it worth the investment.
It is the best choice if you are looking for the best user interface head unit. This is because it features the CarPlay that allows you to choose which apps will be displayed.
It also can determine the most recently used apps, making it easier to browse and access the files.
An interesting feature is a built-in amplifier that is designed to handle 50 watts of peak power in its 4 channels. Plus, the 3 preamp outputs provide more room should you decide to add subwoofers later on.
Also, with the Alpine iLX-107, you can be assured that your factory controls are secured thanks to the iDatalink Maestro.
- Extra large 7 inch touchscreen
Digital receiver with AM/FM tuner
Built in Apple CarPlar
Powerful GPS antenna for responsive map experience.
Great user interface.
Built-in 5Ghz Wi-Fi for wireless iPhone connectivity
Built in amplifier (18 watts RMS/ 50 peak * 4 channels)
- Works with Apple CarPlay over Wireless / 9-band parametric EQ / Does not have a CD player
- 7" VGA display with capacitive touch screen / 6-channel time correction set by Alpine TuneIt App
- Compatible with Alpine TuneIt App for iPhone / Steering wheel remote control ready
- Steering wheel remote control ready / 3 Pre-Outs (2V)
- Keep factory controls with iDatalink Maestro Module / 50 Watts x 4
For the price that you pay for the Jensen CMN86 Double DIN Car Stereo, you get a little bit of everything that you’ll need from a double DIN head unit. In terms of safety, it’s hard to beat how it offers both front camera input (video only) and a backup camera input (video and audio). Not to mention, it has a large 6.8-inch touchscreen so you can clearly see all dangers that the camera can see from your front and from your back.
Additionally, the CMN86 is designed to work with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as well as support voice control for both operating systems and most of their most popular apps. But, if you don’t have a smartphone, don’t worry. This double DIN head unit also comes with its own push-to-talk voice assistant and built-in iGO Primo navigation with support for steering wheel control.
With an upgraded Bluetooth functionality and a 1-year warranty, the CMN86 is an easy sell and a hard-to-find bargain.
- 6.8-inch LED multimedia high-resolution touch screen display
iGO Primo navigation
Siri and Google Voice assist button
Music streaming with AM/FM radio
- Front & Backup camera input
- 1-year warranty
- 6. 8 INCH LED/LCD HIGH RESOLUTION TOUCH SCREEN – your large 6. 8 inch LED multimedia high resolution touch screen display provides a comfortable viewing experience while keeping all your favorite content within fingers reach
- iGO PRIMO NAVIGATION – developed specifically for automotive navigation and will display vibrant easy to read road maps with 11 million points of interest and voice prompted directions
- SIRI / GOOGLE VOICE ASSIST BUTTON – with the touch of a button you have the power to summon your favorite assistant (Siri or Google) and verbally speak your commands such as play music, podcasts, navigation, etc
- UPGRADED BLUETOOTH – your double DIN car stereo head unit multimedia receiver will easily pair with the vast majority of Bluetooth devices allowing you to make and receive all your calls Hands Free
- MUSIC STREAMING – you now have a variety of options to listen to your favorite music; either by your USB port which also charges your device, MP3/WMA Player and an AM/FM tuner with 30 Station presets
This is what you can get if you’re willing to invest a bit of money. This receiver is made by Kenwood, a company well known for its high-end products. Of course, the first thing that you’ll notice is the design.
The Kenwood DDX372BT double DIN stereo is going to be the most expensive pick of the lot by far. If you have read some of our reviews on Kenwood DDX Series stereos, you will know why.
Kenwood DDX-372BT features a 6.2" touchscreen with variable color button illumination, Bluetooth; backup camera hook-up, AM/FM, CD/DVD player, Pandora, etc. It also gives you voice control with a compatible Siri-equipped iPhone.
Despite all its features, the user interface is pretty intuitive and user-friendly. It's just quick to jump into the menu to adjust audio settings, connect a new device, make a phone call, browse phone contacts or dial a number. To put it plainly, there's a lot to get distracted by on this head unit.
So, bear in mind to keep your eyes on the road.
When it comes to sound quality, the DDX-372BT delivers fantastic music even with factory speakers. It has eight preset EQ settings (rock, powerful, jazz, clear, etc.), a user-configurable EQ, as well a 5-band equalizer. That said, you can customize the sound to better match your taste.
- CD/DVD receiver & AM/FM tuner
6.2" touchscreen with variable color button illumination
Fits double-DIN dash openings
Built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
5-band equalizer with eight preset EQ settings
Inputs : rear USB input, rear A/V input, rear aux input, rear-view camera input
Outputs : rear A/V output, 6-channel preamp output
- DVD/CD player with 6.2" touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio Ready: Tuner and Antenna Required, Sold Separately
- PAC SWI-RC Steering wheel interface adapter included
- SOTS Air freshner Included in this package
Another head unit and another one from Pioneer. Pioneer is just that good when it comes to head units. Their products are top tier!
The Pioneer DMH-1500NEX, in particular, could very well be the best double-DIN head unit available out there.
Mind you, not just one of the best, but THE best.
Well, let’s start with the highly responsive and user-friendly 7-inch touchscreen. Sure, it’s not the largest out there, but it’s one of the best. Also, unlike other touchscreens, the DMH-1500NEX is relatively easy to install. You can even do it yourself too, especially since the instruction manual is so detailed that it even comes with diagrams.
Considering that it also supports Bluetooth, as well as USB connectivity, and even comes with an extra AUX port, in addition to AM/FM and Sirius XM features, the DMH-1500NEX will let you listen to the music that you want however you want.
That is, outside of the listening to songs via CDs and DVDs.
Then again, that’s a small price to pay, especially since you can still connect to the DMH-1500NEX using any Smartphone because it supports both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
- 7” WVGA Display
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
Amazon Alexa Built-in when Paired with Pioneer Vozsis App
- Apple CarPlay Compatible
- Android Auto Compatible
- WebLink Compatible
- Navigation Ready
- Works with Pandora, SiriusXM Ready
Eonon might be one of the more obscure names when it comes to head units, but their products are not to be underestimated.
The Eonon GA20180A, in particular, comes jampacked with tons of features and For starters, this relatively unknown head unit supports GPS, USB, and Micro SD input, video output, as well as 12 AM and 18 FM presets for radio stations.
But, what makes the Eonon GA2180A worth of inclusion is the fact that it comes with everything that you’ll need to install inside your car.
In addition to the manual, it comes with cables and accessories, including an external microphone, a GPS antenna, and a USB extension harness, as well as a 15A fuse.
It is easy to use and customize, the 7-inch HD touchscreen is also quite large.
While the GA2180A might not have ALL the features found in more expensive head units, that’s the good thing, it’s relatively affordable.
- CPU: MTK 8227L 1.2GHz ARM A7 Quad Core / RAM: 2GB / ROM: 32GB
Support app installation
- 🚙【🧡🧡DETAILS🧡🧡】2021 Newest Type+3 Accessories. Please Be Sure to CHECK AMAZON PICTURE. If you need more Eonon products, please search Eonon and know our Million Expert Store.Excellent Customer Service:30-day money-back guarantee for any reason!18-month warranty for any quality-related issues! Any problem, please feel free to contact our professional team,check the email address of the AMAZON PICTURE to get the details.
- 🚙【Do More at the Same Time】 Ability to stream Spotify and Pandora from your phone via Bluetooth to enjoy millions of songs you like, and make hands-free calling while driving. Apart from supporting the display of song information and phone book, the head unit also supports searching contacts rapidly.
- 🚙【A Smart Way to Use Your Phone in the Car】It takes the things you want to do with your iPhone while driving and puts them right on car stereo display. You can get directions, make calls, send and receive messages, and listen to music with just a word or a touch. Stay focused on the road. Just connect your iPhone and go. (Compatible with iPhone 5 and later.)
- 🚙【Real You Can Feel It】 Split screen mode allows running two apps side by side. You can use Spotify while navigating, or visit the website while listening to the radio.
- 🚙【A Smart Way to Use Your Phone in the Car】 7 inch IPS touchscreen not only show you a HD picture quality, But also give you precise fingertip control experience with its special touch-button design. Easy to operate. › See more product details
Does the name ring a bell? No? Well, yeah, it probably wouldn’t.
Sarcch isn’t likely going to become the next big thing when it comes to double DIN head units, but one of their products is one of the best double DIN head units out there.
At a price point that’s around a quarter of what the other head units on our list sell for, this head unit from Sarcch is an excellent replacement for an aging car’s stock head unit. One could argue that it’s just as capable as the other more expensive head units on our list. This is especially since it comes with a large 7-inch screen and a Mirror Link function.
This function lets you pair the head unit with any smartphone, whether it’s on Android or Apple.
The head unit also supports rearview cameras.
- Capacitive 5-Points Touch Screen.
Support Steering Wheel Control and Support IR wireless remote control.
Built-in BT for Wireless Music Streaming, built-in Microphone for hands-free Calling.
Support two-way Video output function.
Amplifier Max Output Power: 60 Watts. FR/FL/RR/RL 4-channel audio output 50W X 4 surround stereo
Most cars sold within the last two decades or so have enough space on their dashboards to fit a double-DIN car stereo.
This means that there’s really no reason to upgrade to a capable double-DIN unit.
Not only will it help make your older car look more modern or your new car look better, but it’ll also improve its functionality. Most double DIN head units come with large capacitive touchscreens that let you navigate through city streets and the open road with ease without having to look down on your iPhone!
That and its jam-packed variety of features really make these products worth the upgrade!
Last update on 2021-05-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API