It doesn’t matter if you’re on the road eight or so hours a day or you only drive to-and-fro work, we all can agree that road noise is the biggest distraction to any driver. It’ll force you to listen to the radio louder than you’d like or it can also lead to excess vibration that might damage the other parts of your car.
With that said, a good way to solve this problem is to install good insulation inside your car. In particular, sound-deadening insulation.
One of the options that’s made recently available is the use of sound deadening sprays.
Scroll down below to find out more about sound deadening sprays, including what they are and how to choose one, as well as which ones are the best on the market.
Top 5 Best Sound Deadening Spray
Proudly made in the United States, the Second Skin Audio Spectrum Liquid Sound Deadening Spray and Paint is considered one of the best sound deadening sprays on the market, and for a good reason -- it’s been used to dampen vibrations and sound, as well as stop thermal transfer, on all sorts of metal surfaces from cars to trucks and boats, and even HVAC ducts.
The high-heat and water-based viscoelastic polymeter was formulated specifically by Second Skin. The manufacturers have also tested it extensively on metal. They’ve proven numerous times that it can effectively stop vibration in the metal and minimize noise.
The spray can be applied via a paint brush or a roller or via a spray gun and air compressor.
The manufacturers recommend applying around two layers of the spray totalling to a thickness of around 3mm max for maximum benefits.
- SOUND DEADENING SPRAY: Spectrum liquid sound dampening material is a high heat, water based viscoelastic polymer, formulated and tested by Second Skin to adhere to metal and stop it from vibrating. Stop the vibrations, stop the noise!
- CAR SOUND DEADENING & INSULATION: Used to dampen vibrations and stop thermal transfer on metal surfaces in all types of vehicles (cars, boats, trucks). Spectrum also works well on metal warehouse carts, sub-woofer boxes, and HVAC ducts. Spectrum works by stopping vibrations. It will NOT block or absorb airborne sound waves.
- ADVANTAGES OF LIQUID SPRAY: Spray Spectrum into hard to reach places that sound deadening mats have trouble, such as the undercarriage of the car and the wheel wells. Spectrum is temperature rated to 400 F, so you can even use it on the firewall!
- PAINT OR SPRAY ON SOUND DEADENING: Applied with a paint brush/roller or spray gun and air compressor. We recommend applying two layers of Spectrum Liquid Deadener to a total thickness of 2-3mm (thicker than a quarter). Max: 5mm
- PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA
The Design Engineering Bom Mat Spray-On Sound Deadener is another popular choice among people looking for a good sound deadening spray.
The spray is designed to do three things: reduced road noise, dampen vibrations, and insulate against heat. This makes it fairly effective at eliminating anything from vibrations to road noise and unwanted heat. It can even be applied in multiple layers for better efficiency, as well as to non-coated surfaces, and can be coated on top with paint after drying for around 6 hours.
Because it’s capable of handling temperatures of up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit, you’ll have no worries using this spray. You can also use this to prevent rust in certain rust-prone areas, like body panels, rear quarters, and more.
- Reduce unwanted road noise and vibration, even in hard-to-reach places
- Won't crack or chip; helps prevent rust
- Paintable in just 6 hours
- Single can will cover approximately 20 sq. ft.
- Fit type: Universal Fit
The LizardSkin 50115 Sound Control Ceramic Insulation is arguably the most popular sound deadening spray on our list. It comes highly recommended by both professionals and DIYers alike. In particular, many seem to love how applying it on top of sheet metal, like in cars, helps create a waterproof and scratch-resistant film that also dampens sound and minimizes vibrations.
The manufacturers also claim that the spray is made out of non-toxic and environmentally-friendly ingredients. It also provides a certain degree of fire-proofing on the materials it is applied to.
Perhaps the best part about this spray is that it is easy to apply. Because it’s color black, it’s easy to see where you’re applying it and how. It’s also easy to remove. The film comes off using a combination of soap and water with minimal rubbing required.
- Country of Origin : United States
- Fit type: Vehicle Specific
- Package Weight: 25.1 pounds
- Package Dimensions: 34.544 L x 27.177 H x 36.576 W (centimeters)
First things first, the Rust-Oleum Professionsal Grade Rubberized Undercoating Spray was not specifically designed to deaden vibrations and road noise. Instead, its main use is to protect the undercarriage of your vehicle. In particular, it’s very effective against protecting the undercarriage from salt and water, dust, as well as other chemicals.
Even though that’s the case, we still recommend this spray for those willing to give it a try. This is because it possesses excellent sound dampening effects. It can be applied inside your car, as well as around the engine compartment and firewall to minimize vibrations.
What’s also good about this spray is that you can apply paint directly over the product so that it’s not as noticeable that you applied a sound deadening spray on the inside of your car. It also doesn’t smell as bad, although the manufacturers still recommend letting the product air out for a couple of days.
Another advantage of using this sound deadening spray is that it comes in 15oz cans that can cover up to a single coat of 15 square feet. It’s also possible to add multiple coats quickly as it only takes around 15 minutes for a single coat to dry and be ready for additional layers.
- Perfect for use on bare or primed metal underbodies of cars, trucks, trailers, RVs and more
- Professional-grade formula provides superior protection against corrosion and damage from water, salt and other chemicals
- Dries to the touch in 1 hour and covers up to 10-15 sq. ft. per can
- Undercoating helps deaden sound and reduce damage to parts
- Features a wide, comfort spray tip and any-angle spray technology for easy painting even upside down
The 3M Professional Grade Rubberized Undercoating is an asphalt-based spray that you can apply on your car’s wheel wells, engine compartment, and the undercarriage. Although it’s not recommended to be used inside, using it on the said areas is enough to deaden sound and vibrations, while also protecting your car from weathering, chips, abrasions, and rust.
One of the biggest advantages of using this sound deadening spray is that a single application applies a thick enough of a coat that will eliminate the need for re-applying multiple layers anymore.
Once the spray has dried up to a flat black finish, you can prime and paint over it if you want a different look. However, even on its own, the spray is very durable and relatively thick. However, it is also because of this thickness that applying it might not be suitable for beginners.
The spray tends to clump up if you don’t know how to apply it properly and it will stick on your skin if you’re not careful.
If it’s any consolation though, it does not have the same offensive smell or odors as other sprays.
- Multi-purpose undercoating may be applied to cars, truck and recreational vehicles
- Sound deadening properties help reduce road noise
- Asphalt-based product is excellent for wheel wells, quarter panels, interior fenders, under the hood and more
- Protects the undercarriage of vehicles from rust and abrasion
- Aerosol dispenser allows for easy spray-on application
What is a Sound Deadening Spray?
Sound deadening sprays are commonly used as a supplementary product to sound deadening mats. They are often applied in areas other mats usually can’t reach. However, they can also be applied liberally in multiple parts of the vehicle to achieve the same effect as sound deadening mats at the fraction of the material, time, and labor cost.
Sound Deadening Spray vs Sound Deadening Mats
Sound deadening sprays are a more convenient albeit short-term solution to reducing road noise and dampening vibrations. They are relatively easy to apply and it’s possible to coat your vehicle with a sound deadening spray yourself. On the other hand, sound deadening mats usually require professional help, which adds to the already expensive material costs.
How to Apply a Sound Deadening Spray to Your Car?
Unlike sound deadening mats that often require professional installation and are very hard to remove if you don’t apply them correctly, sound deadening sprays are much more forgiving and a better option for beginners.
Manufacturers often include detailed instructions on how to prepare the surface and use the product. However, in general, it’s recommended that you hold the can at least eight inches from where you want to apply it and slowly spray it on the surface for even application.
How long it takes for the material to dry and or you to reapply another layer, if necessary, depends on the product. Some require multiple layers for complete sound insulation. Others only require one or two
Sound deadening sprays are an effective alternative for aging or older cars whose sound insulation and vibration dampening properties aren’t as good as newer cars. They’re easy to apply, even in tight and hard-to-reach areas and the effect can last for years. But, at the same time, you can remove the coating using only soap and water.!
The worst case scenario in using a sound deadening spray is that you don’t get the level of sound insulation or vibration dampening that you would have preferred, but you’ll only have spent a small amount of money. This one is a solid option to reduce those unwanted sounds without so much burning a hole in your pocket!
Last update on 2021-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API