The head-up display didn’t use to be a part of the automotive industry. It was more of a military thing. In particular, it was a standard feature on fighter jets. But eventually it found its way into the automobile industry.
These days, head-up displays or HUDs, as they are more commonly known, have become commonplace in modern cars.
They’re not everywhere. At least, not yet anyway. But, they’re becoming more and more popular, and for good reason! Not only do they look cool but they’re also quite functional. However, unless you’re willing to buy a newer car, whether it’s a more reasonably-priced Mazda 3 or one of those more upscale BMW 7 series automobiles, your car isn’t likely going to have a HUD.
Luckily, there’s a way around this. There are plenty of aftermarket Heads up displays available, ranging from the basic and affordable to the expensive yet top-of-the-class design. There’s a wide variety out there that will allow you to enjoy a modern nicety on your automobile regardless of its age.
In our guide, we take a look at the Best Heads Up Display for your car – take a look and see which one suits your ride!
The 7 Best Head-Up Displays For Your Car
As far as HUDs go, the ACERCAR Heads Up Display is as basic as it gets. It’s pretty affordable too. But, despite it being fairly simple, the ACERCAR HUD does most if not all of the things that the average car owner would want in a HUD.
For starters, it’s non-intrusive. It’s small blueprint and rectangular design slots is nicely on most car’s dashboards. This way, you can see what’s on display without it really getting on the way of you seeing what’s on the road.
Through it, you’ll see important stuff such as mileage, RPG, speed, as well as your car’s battery charge or if your engine is in danger of overheating.
Because it’s plugged into your car’s OBD2 port, it’ll be able to display most things that OBD2 scanners can.
This is a great feature, but this also means that you won’t get these features to work on older car models without an OBD2 part. However, it will still work on cars without an OBD2 port, the only problem is that it will only show speed using GPS, which isn’t always accurate.
As an added bonus, the HUD’s screen is glare-free and automatically adjusts its brightness.
- 🚙【What is HUD?】 Short for Head Up Display. It displays driving data on the front windshield such as speed,RPM,water temperature,voltage single mileage etc. HUD avoids the danger of drivers looking down at the dashboard. It ensures the safety of drivers because of watching the data on the car front window glass, and helps drivers to keep the best state on the way. A variety of operating interface modes and colors can be switched freely, It will bring more fun and Technological sense to you.
- 🚙【Simple Display】Vehicle Speed + Engine RPM, HD Display, practical function, let you drive more comfortable for a long time. (plug and play -- Available for 95% car with an OBD2/ GPS interface) The Nano - Technology - High clearness projector, to eliminate unwanted reflections and can make the display information more sharper. The Automatic and manual brightness adjustment mode, and more easy to control the HUD.
- 🚙【Multiple functions】: Ambient decorative lighting Engine RPM Fault code alarm Fatigue driving alarm .The Alarm icon Light sensor: HUD can automatically adjust the brightness "according to the environment .Speed unit: KM/H, MPH .Multi-function zone: speed,water temperature,battery voltage,driving distance Water temperature icon ,voltage icon.
- 🚙【Compatible Attention】OBDll only be available for vehicles produced after 2008. GPS MODEL Perfect Suitable for All Vehicle. ( If your car is not compatible with OBD mode, please use GPS mode.)Dual System, Change free.OBDll mode is not compatible with hybrid electric vehicle,diesel car, pickup truck, RV, computer modified car,it is recommended to use the GPS mode.
- 🚙【QUALITY SERVICE】CE FCC RoHS Certification, Superior quality. The chip with powerful performance and compatibility to make sure dual system, dual-run memory and dual-core processor high-speed operat.If you have any questions about this product, please feel free to contact us. We will get back to you as soon as possible and help you solve the problem.
Manufactured by relative newcomers in the industry, Hudly, the Hudly LITE HUD lives up to its name.
As far as aesthetics and design go, the Hudly LITE is definitely lite.
Measuring at 6.6 x 5.3 x 1.9 inches and weighing just 7.2 ounces, with a display that shouldn’t be any larger than 4 inches, this HUD won’t take up too much space on your dashboard. But, at the same time, it’s designed so that it can maximize all of the space that it takes to display all of the information that you need.
Speaking of information, you can see everywhere from your speed and your RPMs. You can even set custom RPM chimes so you know when the best time to change gears for maximum fuel efficiency.
Perhaps the best part about the Hudly LITE is the easy installation.
All you need to do is to plug it into the OBD2 port of your vehicle, secure the HUD onto your dashboard using the rubber mat, and that’s pretty much it. You can also use an optional reflection film that’s included in the package for better visibility.
- Drive safer when you see speed and RPMs without looking away from the road. Clearly see the reflected stats even without the windshield reflective film, though One is included should you need additional clarity.
- Achieve optimal visibility day and night with auto-adjusting sensor technology. The LED display also uses a special coating to reduce excess light reflection.
- Set speed limit chime alerts to let you know when you’re driving too fast, and easily switch between mph and km/h readouts
- Save fuel with custom RPM chimes, which alert you to change gears when the vehicle exceeds a set RPM
- Easy plug-and-play INSTALL. Works in most gas-powered vehicles built After 1996 with Obd2 ports.
Most HUDs are plugged into the OBD2 port and use reflective film to display output on the windshield.
We only say most, not all, because some worthwhile HUDs do exist that don’t plug into the OBD2 port of cars, nor use reflective film.
Instead, some HUDs plug into the cigarette port, such as the ITEQ Universal GPS HUD.
The ITEQ Universal GPS HUD uses a polarizing pad to tell you the necessary information. This includes your car’s speed, direction, as well as the time.
The polarizing pad also comes with adjustable brightness settings. This allows you to choose the right settings for optimal display brightness. This is especially crucial when you’re always on the road and need to adjust visibility at night and the day.
The best part about the ITEQ Universal GPS HUD is that it uses an anti-slip mat to keep it in place, but at the same time, you can take it down whenever you’re away or you just don’t want to use the HUD for some reason.
- Safe Driving: The ITEQ 4.8 inch GPS Car HUD will set drivers free from the risk of looking down at the car dashboard while driving cars. And it will alarm you when you exceed the speed limit set by yourself
- Real-time Data Display: Connecting to satellite, the HUD displays real-time driving speed, direction, altitude and time. Speed unit can be manual switched between KMH (Kilometers per hour) and MPH (Miles per hour)
- Two Display Modes: You can attach the polarizing pad on windshield with the suction cup and reflect the data on the pad. Or you can intergrate the polarizing pad with the HUD together, no need to paste anything on windshield
- Strong Compatibility: This HUD is available for any car with lighter socket (12V DC), including BEV (Battery Electrical Vehicle) and HEV (Hybrid Electrical Vehicle)
- Risk Free Purchase: Our ITEQ GPS Car HUD comes with a 100% MoneyBack Guarantee for 3 months, so look no further to purchase
Technically, this is not a HUD. Instead, this is a phone mount that lets you use your smartphone as your HUD. But, we’re including it on our list for one good reason – it works and it’s pretty damn cheap.
The Vansky Dashboard Phone Mount props your phone up at an angle that lets you see what’s displayed on the screen without really having to take your eyes off of the road. Also, you can adjust the rubber holders to fit the size of your phone.
This means that it’s universal. Not only that, but you can also remove and reapply it as many times as you want and it’ll still stick.
If you’re looking to save money on a Heads Up Display or just want to try out a HUD for the heck of it but don’t necessarily want to spend money, your smartphone makes for a great substitute.
Paired with the Vansky Dashboard Phone Mount, then it’ll be just as good if not better than most other HUDs.
As an added bonus, you can use the phone mount for other purposes as well. If you don’t want to put your phone on it, or if you’ve decided to upgrade to an actual HUD, you can use the Vanksy Dashboard Phone Mount to hold other items.
You can even use this phone mount as a regular stand for your phone!
- ☑️ [Car Phone Holder] - A pad and two rubber holders get things going. The car phone holder can be moved (2.36-5.12 inches/6-13cm) to fit phone or GPS devices from 3.5-7 inches, such as iPhone 12 11 Pro X 7, Samsung S10 Note, Nexus, LG, Motorola or other devices. Easy to operate with one hand.
- ☑️ [Safe Driving View] - 5 sticky silicone gel points (won't melt) added on the bottom, mount your phone more stably and tightly even when taking a sharp turn, sudden stop and in emergency brake.
- ☑️ [Adjustable Design] - The car phone mount will not block the driving sight when fixed it on the dashboard. Your phone can be put in horizontal and vertical ways, but horizontal placement will be more stable than vertical.
- ☑️ [Mutil-Functional] - The phone holder can be used to place other suitable items, can be used in the car, office, and room for meeting, movie watching, music playing and so on.
- ☑️ [1 Year Warranty] - The car mount is made from silicone material, it is wear-resistant, durable, washable and reusable.
Equipped with its very own 2.2-inch TFT LCD screen, you won’t have to worry about whether the display out will be visible or not with the TIMPROVE T600.
All you need to do is to put it up on your dashboard, and plug it into your car’s 12v port, and that’s it. This is because the TIMPROVE T600 is a GPS-based Heads Up Display. This means that you don’t need to plug it into your car’s OBD2 port.
Also, because it comes with a full-color dedicated display, you won’t have to worry about aligning the projected screen anymore.
As already mentioned, the TIMPROVE T600 is as plug-and-play as any HUD display can get on the market.
The TFT LCD screen itself also comes with a multi-color switching function that lets you see pretty much everything that you need to know properly and clearly.
Among many things shown by this HUD is the speed of your vehicle, driving direction, voltage, driving time, as well as driving distance. You’ll even be notified if your battery has low voltage or if you’re over speeding already.
If you’re looking for a no-fuss, plug-and-play HUD display, the TIMPROVE T600 might just be for you.
- 🚙【WORKS FOR ALL VEHICLES】– Unlike other Car HUDs, you do not need to worry about the compatibly, T600 could work for ALL vehicles, no matter which brand or which model all over the world cause T600 is based on the GPS module inside.
- 🚙【TFT LCD DISPLAY】– T600 HUD is equipped with a high definition 2.2'' TFT LCD screen, which displays the information more clearly than the windshield HUD, companied with a multi colors switching function, it may make you feel more comfortable to monitor the speed and bring more fun to your driving experience. With a 30° angle supporting design, it's a good view to read the information directly without moving your eyes from the road, no need to paste any reflecting sticker on your windshield.
- 🚙【RICH CONTENTS】– Almost everything you may need to read during driving will be shown by this HUD, including vehicle speed, driving direction, voltage, driving distance measurement, driving time, low voltage alarm, over speed alarm, satellite time and number, altitude, freely switch between kilometers and miles. A great partner for your driving.
- 🚙【MULTIFUNCTIONS】– T600 HUD has been upgraded with new functions which make it different and more competitive than the traditional HUD in the market. Because T600 is based on the GPS module and satellite, so it can be used to speedup test, brake performance test and other car data information reading. A mutifunctional tool to help you know about your car.
If you want to enjoy the benefit of having an OBD2 HUD and want the vehicle information displayed right onto a physical screen, the Arpenkin HUD X5 might just be for you.
Instead of having to align and adjust the Head Up Display, or worrying about any unwanted reflections, the Arpenkin HUD X5 comes with a 3-inch physical screen. This makes it relatively easy to read everything displayed. Also, the screen itself comes with both manual brightness adjustment, as well as automatic.
As is the case with most Heads Up Displays, it comes with various alarms that let you be more aware of your driving habits and for safety purposes.
Ultimately, what really sets the Arpenkin HUD X5 apart is its minimalist display.
Unlike other HUDs that try their best to cram in as much information as possible on the display, the Arpenkin HUD X5 does away with all of that clutter.
If safety is your utmost concern, then the Sherox A900 Car HUD has you covered.
Much like other OBD2 Heads Up Displays out there, the Sherox A900 Car HUD makes use of the self-diagnostic reporting capabilities that your car has to give you accurate information in real-time.
However, unlike other Heads Up Displays that rely on projecting the information on the windshield, this HUD has its own physical multi-color LCD screen display that delivers you accurate information with minimal weather.
What makes the LCD screen display so great is that it is brightly colored so you don’t have to squint just to see the information displayed properly. Not to mention, the screen adjusts automatically depending on the weather conditions for optimal viewing.
Going back to the kind of information displayed by the Sherox A900 Car HUD, it’ll tell you everything from fuel consumption, to battery voltage, speed, and more. It even comes within alarms sensitive enough to let you know that you’ve been driving for a while already and that you might need to take a break.
The safety alarms will also pop off to remind you that you’re taking too long to shift gears or you’re over speeding already.
- [Before Purchase this SHEROX A900 Car Head Up Display] Please open your car engine hood and find the sticker, if it writes OBDII CERTIFIED, then this HUD can be installed. Actually, OBDII and EOBD first applied to European and North American manufactured automobiles after 2003, and for Asian manufactured cars, they have even appeared later, since 2007..
- [Multi-color LCD screen] more clear and easier to read. Automatic and manual brightness adjustment mode,driving without glare.
- [More abundant display] vehicle speed MPH/KMH, engine speed, water temperature, battery voltage, instantaneous fuel consumption, average fuel consumption (free switch between km and miles)
- [Alarm functions] shift reminding, speed alarm, fatigue driving reminding, low voltage alarm, high temperature alarm, engine fault alarm, fault code elimination
- Auto Power on/off: HUD start and off with vehicle started and shutdown, effective protection of the car battery. Retaining the manual switch mode,more easy to control HUD. [Please download the User Manual at section "Technical Specification" of this page].
How Do You Choose the Right Heads Up Display?
There are three questions that you need to ask yourself when choosing a heads-up display for your car.
Namely, these are:
Is the Heads up Display compatible with my car?
Not all Heads Up displays are the same. Some use GPS, while others use the OBD2 port. There are also others that use either Apple AirPlay or Google Cast, which means that they’re only compatible with either an iOS or Android device, respectively.
It’s important that you check if the HUD is compatible with your car.
More importantly, if you plan on using an OBD2 port HUD, check where the OBD2 port of your car is located. You’ll usually find it under the dashboard, somewhere in the driver’s side. If this is the case, then hiding the wiring will be relatively easy. However, if the OBD2 port is hidden under your car’s carpet, then you may have to get creative with hiding the hiring for the HUD.
What kind of screen do I want for my HUD?
Best Heads Up Displays use either projector screens or dedicated physical screens.
Projector screens, as the name implies, project the data and/or information onto your car’s windshield. On the other hand, a dedicated screen displays information on a physical screen.
Each type of screen has its own set of advantages and disadvantages.
As a general rule of thumb, choose one that offers the best readability during weather conditions that you’ll be driving the most.
Is the HUD easy to install?
Some Heads up display, you can install yourself. Others, you’ll need professional help with or, at the very least, you’ll have to use professional tools.
Do remember that just because a HUD is harder to install doesn’t mean that it’s better. Easy-to-install HUDs do exist and are just as good if not even better.
Why It’s Worth It Buying a Heads up Display For Your Car
A Safer Way of Getting Crucial Vehicle Information
Installing additional gauges is great until you find yourself too distracted trying to make sense of the information displayed. If you’re lucky, you won’t get into an accident, or if you do, it won’t be anything serious. But, in worse cases, being distracted when driving can lead to serious injuries, and sometimes, even fatalities.
Having a car HUD gives you a safer alternative of knowing both crucial and arguably trivial information without having to keep your eyes off of the road.
Modernize an Older Car
Gauges and dials have a certain appeal. Unfortunately, you can’t deny that they’re commonly associated with older cars. On the other hand, upgrading from analog to digital isn’t cheap. Usually, at that point, you’re better off buying a more modern car instead.
Best hud display present a nice and cheap alternative that lets you update the aesthetics and functionality of an older vehicle without necessarily spending a lot of money.
You should probably know by now that there are a lot of HUDs available on the market.
Are all of them worth your money? That depends. But, what we can be sure of is that we took the necessary amount of time to do proper research to come up with a list that includes some of the best heads up display for cars that you can find today.
If, however, you still can’t find what you’re looking for from our list, you can at least use our tips to help you make the right choice! Enjoy that new HUD and start riding with style!
Last update on 2021-02-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API