So you want to add a touch screen stereo to your car's dash, but unfortunately there isn't enough space to accommodate a standard double DIN touch screen head unit.
Well, there's a great option . Flip out car stereos are a great alternative.
At first glance, they look pretty similar to single din head units. However, flip out receiver are equipped with a motorized large touch screen that's designed to slide out of the dash and flip up to be viewed with a single push of a button.
Searching for the best flip out head unit is a daunting task. The sheer number of flip out radios available online or in the stores is enough to make your head spin.
Making the wrong choice could cost you time, money, and effort. So, before you spend your hard-earned money, make sure that you are getting the best flip out head unit that meets your needs and fits within your budget.
Good thing for you, then, we’ve done the research so you don't have to. We've spend many hours curating the top rated flip out car stereos, and we’ve put together this resource – a one-stop-shop, all-inclusive guide to help you make an informed buying decision.
So, without further ado, onto the reviews of the best flip out car stereos.
Best Flip Out Head Unit Reviews
Pioneer is one of the most authoritative brands in the car audio industry. I have to say they smoke the competition - particularly in car stereo category.
They make some of the best touch screen car stereos, and their flip out radio line is no exception.
The AVH-3400NEX is a single din head unit that is one of the best flip out touch screen radios that Pioneer has to offer.
It features a responsive, large and intuitive NEX user interface that is easy to use and highly customizable.
You can adjust the screen's angle for the best view in your car, or even tailor the receiver's appearance by choosing from five display colors and 112 key panel illumination options to match your car's interior lighting, color, and design.
The AVH-3400NEX boasts a huge array of bells and whistles including Bluetooth for hands-free calling and wireless music streaming, Pandora, MIXTRAX, Mirrolink, USB direct control for iPOD®/i Phone, remote control ...etc.
The AVH-3400NEX can also be easily upgraded with navigation with the all-new add-on AVIC-U260 GPS module.
In terms of audio features, the AVH-3400NEX is loaded with several audio settings to enhance your music listening experience including a 13-band EQ with slope adjustments, time alignment, two-way network, auto EQ, Pioneer’s proprietary Sound Retriever AIR, and high voltage preouts.
The main complaint about this flip out car stereo is the MirrorLink. It has only the base mirrorlink. In other words, It only supports the 5 proprietary apps listed on mirrorlink.com - NOT all your apps - which is kind of a misleading advertising.
- Motorized Display
- Compatible With Apple Carplay, Android, Auto, Appradio, Mode +, Flac Audio, Spotify & Pandora Internet Radio
- Siri Eyes Free With Compatible IPhone
- Music Streaming & Hands-free Calling With Compatible, Bluetooth - enabled Devices
- 1.5a USB Port
Pioneer has packed the AVH-X7800BT with as many features as its previous model. In terms of design, the AVH-X7800BT is quite identical to the AVH-X7700BT.
However, the AVH-X7800BT features a new clear resistive touchscreen that provides brighter, more vivid colors and increased touch sensitivity, making it more responsive than traditional resistive touch panels.
It's also equipped with a new operating system which is easier to navigate. Pioneer went a step further and equipped this model with built-in Bluetooth which supports two phones at once instead of just one phone as with the previous model.
This means, your calls can be picked up by either of the paired phones, eliminating the need to pair and unpair devices.
If you're a fan of streaming content, you'll love how easy and convenient it is to control your Pandora and Spotify accounts from the touch screen of the receiver. Just pair up your smartphone with the head unit and you're all set.
The receiver's 7" LCD screen plays DVDs and other video content in bright, clear detail when you're parked — though you can use Pioneer's brake bypass so you can play videos at all time, and not just when you're parked.
Bear in mind that watching a video on your screen when you're driving is dangerous. The AVH-X7800BT allows you to keep your passengers entertained by sending video from the receiver to a rear-seat screen.
- Built-in Bluetooth, Hands-Free Profile (HFP), Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP), Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP), Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), Serial Port Profile (SSP), and Dual Phone Connection
- 5 Display Colors With 112 Key Colors
- Expandability: Single, Rear UBS Input, Rear AUX Input, Back-up Camera Input, Wired Remote Input, Composite Video Output, 1-3. 5mm (Audio/Video) Mini Jack AV Cable, and USB Direct Control for iPod/iPhone
- Digital Media Playback: CD/CD-R/CD-RW Playback, DVD/CD/USB MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV Audio Playback, and DVD/DVD-R/DVD-RW MPEG-1/MPEG-2/MPEG-4/AVI/DIVX/WMV/JPEG Video Playback
- Android, Iphone, Backup Camera Compatible
It's packed with a decent array of features including Bluetooth for hands free calling and wireless music streaming, several preset EQ modes, a detachable face plate, and remote control.
As for Audio features, the BV9979B can play music from various sources including DVD/CD/USB/SD, smartphones, and MP3 players.
It's equipped with front and rear USB inputs as well as SD/MMC memory card port.
This head unit has separate bass and treble adjustment control as well as balance and fade adjustment control.
In terms of expand ability, this units Pre-Amp outputs let you expand your system by adding up to 3 amps and/or signal processors for your Front, rear and subwoofer channels. It also has a rear camera input for connecting an optional rear view camera.
- BLUETOOTH: Answer / make calls and be hands-free with no distractions. The built-in microphone picks up your voice and your car speakers let you hear the person on the other side. Play and control your music and apps like Spotify / Pandora wirelessly
- MEDIA PLAYBACK: Play music through your Bluetooth device, pop in a CD/DVD or use the USB/SD ports. Digital media support include MP3 and WMA file formats. Tune into the AM/FM radio stations for up to date music/news/sports and more
- MULTI COLOR ILLUMINATION: Set the mood and make your car into your very own sanctuary. With over 16 Million color combinations, you can set a different tone every day of the week
- INPUTS: USB/SD, rearview camera (sold separately). The steering wheel interface allows you to use the existing functions on your steering wheel (interface module sold separately. We recommend the Metra ASWC-1)
- AUXILIARY INPUT: Compatible with the audio output from smartphones as well as MP3 players. Just plug in and start playing
Last update on 2020-04-05 at 07:49 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API