So you want to add a touch screen stereo to your car's dash, but unfortunately there isn't enough space to accommodate a standard double DIN touch screen head unit.
Well, there's a great option . Flip out car stereos are a great alternative.
At first glance, they look pretty similar to single din head units. However, flip out receiver are equipped with a motorized large touch screen that's designed to slide out of the dash and flip up to be viewed with a single push of a button.
Searching for the best flip out head unit is a daunting task. The sheer number of flip out radios available online or in the stores is enough to make your head spin.
Making the wrong choice could cost you time, money, and effort. So, before you spend your hard-earned money, make sure that you are getting the best flip out head unit that meets your needs and fits within your budget.
Good thing for you, then, we’ve done the research so you don't have to. We've spend many hours curating the top rated flip out car stereos, and we’ve put together this resource – a one-stop-shop, all-inclusive guide to help you make an informed buying decision.
So, without further ado, onto the reviews of the best flip out car stereos.
Best Flip Out Head Unit Reviews
They make some of the best touch screen car stereos, and their flip out radio line is no exception.
The AVH-3400NEX is a single din head unit that is one of the best flip out touch screen radios that Pioneer has to offer.
It features a responsive, large and intuitive NEX user interface that is easy to use and highly customizable.
You can adjust the screen's angle for the best view in your car, or even tailor the receiver's appearance by choosing from five display colors and 112 key panel illumination options to match your car's interior lighting, color, and design.
The AVH-3400NEX boasts a huge array of bells and whistles including Bluetooth for hands-free calling and wireless music streaming, Pandora, MIXTRAX, Mirrolink, USB direct control for iPOD®/i Phone, remote control ...etc.
The AVH-3400NEX can also be easily upgraded with navigation with the all-new add-on AVIC-U260 GPS module.
In terms of audio features, the AVH-3400NEX is loaded with several audio settings to enhance your music listening experience including a 13-band EQ with slope adjustments, time alignment, two-way network, auto EQ, Pioneer’s proprietary Sound Retriever AIR, and high voltage preouts.
The main complaint about this flip out car stereo is the MirrorLink. It has only the base mirrorlink. In other words, It only supports the 5 proprietary apps listed on mirrorlink.com - NOT all your apps - which is kind of a misleading advertising.
- Motorized Display
- Compatible With Apple Carplay, Android, Auto, Appradio, Mode +, Flac Audio, Spotify & Pandora Internet Radio
- Siri Eyes Free With Compatible IPhone
- Music Streaming & Hands-free Calling With Compatible, Bluetooth - enabled Devices
- 1.5a USB Port
If you're on a tight budget and are looking for a budget-friendly flip out head unit, then look no further.
The BOSS AUDIO BV9979B is one of the best flip out receiver under $200.
It's packed with a decent array of features including Bluetooth for hands-free calling and wireless music streaming, several preset EQ modes, a detachable faceplate, and remote control.
As for the audio features, the BV9979B can play music from various sources including DVD/CD/USB/SD, smartphones, and MP3 players.
It's equipped with front and rear USB inputs as well as SD/MMC memory card port.
This head unit has separate bass and treble adjustment control as well as balance and fade adjustment control.
In terms of expanding ability, this unit’s Pre-Amp outputs let you expand your system by adding up to 3 amps and/or signal processors for your Front, rear and subwoofer channels. It also has a rear camera input for connecting an optional rearview camera.
- BLUETOOTH: Answer / make calls and be hands-free with no distractions. The built-in microphone picks up your voice and your car speakers let you hear the person on the other side. Play and control your music and apps like Spotify / Pandora wirelessly
- MEDIA PLAYBACK: Play music through your Bluetooth device, pop in a CD/DVD or use the USB/SD ports. Digital media support include MP3 and WMA file formats. Tune into the AM/FM radio stations for up to date music/news/sports and more
- MULTI COLOR ILLUMINATION: Set the mood and make your car into your very own sanctuary. With over 16 Million color combinations, you can set a different tone every day of the week
- INPUTS: USB/SD, rearview camera (sold separately). The steering wheel interface allows you to use the existing functions on your steering wheel (interface module sold separately. We recommend the Metra ASWC-1)
- AUXILIARY INPUT: Compatible with the audio output from smartphones as well as MP3 players. Just plug in and start playing
The Jensen VX4014 is the perfect combination of affordability and features. In fact, it’s probably the best flip out head unit on the market out there.
One of the best selling points of the VX4014 is its screen mirroring capabilities. This lets you mirror whatever you’re looking at on your phone on the 7-inch high-resolution screen of the VX4014 for better viewing.
Also, speaking of the screen, it’s reasonably responsive and it automatically retracts when not in use.
With a 160-watt peak power, the VX4014 is plenty capable, especially when paired with a competent car stereo system.
For listening to music, users have a bevy of choices available to them. In addition to the expected AM/FM tuner, the VX4014 is SiriusXM tuner ready. It also supports Pandora, as well as Bluetooth, and of course, Apple CarPlay.
As for the aesthetics, you can match the theme color of the VX4014 according to your mood. Not to mention, you’ll also have a 3-band equalizer at your disposal.
- Made for iPhone Direct USB control Apple CarPlay Pandora (Apple / Android Devices) SiriusXM Ready
- Built-In Bluetooth with External Microphone (HFP/A2DP/AVRCP) and Phonebook/Call History
- Screen Mirroring Technology – Apple (mirroring)/ Android (mirroring + control)
- Front Panel USB (2 1A)/ microSD Card / 3 5mm AV Input Rear USB Charging Only 1 Amp
- RGB Front Panel Illumination Back-Up Camera Input Steering wheel control (SWC) input Remote control included
The Power Acoustik PTID-8920B is the perfect choice for those who want to modernize a relatively old automobile and don’t really want something that’s a lot of features, all without dropping a lot of money for it.
Of course, some concessions will have to be made. For example, the 7-inch WVGA resistive touch panel is not as good nor as clear compared to other models.
But it is as good as the screens of the stock headunit of some of the newer cars on the market, which means that you should be able to see what your rearview camera can just fine.
While the PTID-8920B doesn’t have an equalizer, it does have subwoofer controls in case you want to pump up the bass on your daily drives.
In terms of actual hardware and software, the PTID-8920B doesn’t have a lot going for it. It’s not lacking though. Because, even if it’s a fairly basic headunit, it still has Bluetooth functionality, an SDHC card reader, as well as full operation touch screen controls. Not to mention, it’s also quite easy to install.
- Built-in Blue Tooth 2.0: Safely make and receive hands-free phone calls, scroll contacts lists, and stream MP3's via A2DP from your enabled Smartphone
- SDHC Card Reader. Read up to a 32gb SDHC card for MP3 audio and MP4 video playback, or view & save photos with the JPG photo viewer.
- Full Operation Touch Screen Controls. You'll find navigating through the extensive features of PTID-8920B an ease with a tap of the screen to access all menus and settings.
- Subwoofer Output: Power a subwoofer amp with the included 80Hz low-pass crossover RCA output
- Rear View Camera Input: Stay clear of objects your mirrors can't see with a rear view camera connected to the triggered camera input.
Whereas most “budget” head units on the market don’t boast a lot of features and tend to suffer from low-quality components, there are a handful of head units that has a low price-point and don’t necessarily compromise on quality.
A good example of this is the Soundstream VIR-7830B.
A low-cost car stereo solution for cars that can’t fit something larger than a single DIN unit, the VIR-7830B comes with a 7-inch touchscreen display, auxiliary and RCA, as well as USB ports, and a CD/DVD player plus Bluetooth functionality.
Now, these aren’t exactly top-of-the-line features but considering that the VIR-7830B comes with everything that most high-end flip head units does, it’s a big deal.
For older cars, especially, the ability to stream music and videos while talking hands-free is a huge help. The VIR-7830B will let you do just that. But, of course, being that this isn’t a high-end unit, there are a couple of problems with it. Like, for example, reports that navigating the home screen menu is impossible if you’re connected via Bluetooth.
Now, whether or not this is a firmware issue or a hardware problem, no one can tell, but it’s an issue well worth noting regardless.
Basically, everything about the VIR-7830B is good. It’s satisfactory, to say the least. Even though it’s not exactly the greatest nor the best in terms of actual features, considering its price, it’s a bargain.
- Flip-out 7" touchscreen LCD display
- Built-in Bluetooth technology for hands-free talking and audio streaming
- Detachable face plate / Remote control included
- Playback of CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, MP3 and WMA
- iPod and iPhone Ready
The Pyle PLT85BTCM comes with pretty much everything that you can ask for from a flipout head unit. This includes an attractive price point, easy installation, a high-quality screen, and perhaps most import of all, a backup camera.
That last bit is important because you can save a lot of time and money by buying the PLT85BTCM.
The PLT8TBTCM also comes with a detachable screen and faceplate. However, a huge problem is that you can’t exactly plug-in most smartphones to the headunit using cables because it’s built only for MP3 users.
But, on the other hand, it does have Bluetooth functionality, so you can still pair the head unit to your phone wirelessly.
With a built-in mic, talking hands-free with the PLT85BTCM will be easy. Also, you can set the headunit up so passengers won’t be able to see on the screen who’s calling or if someone is calling you.
As an added bonus, the PLT85BTCM also comes with a remote control and zooming capabilities.
- HI-RES 7-INCH DISPLAY: The Pyle Single DIN Touchscreen Head Unit has a top-notch single DIN dashboard for music streaming, hands-free phone calls, and video. Comes w/ a 7” TFT/LCD monitor head unit receiver w/ user-friendly digital control interface
- BLUETOOTH-COMPATIBLE: Equipped w/ bluetooth wireless music streaming. Works w/ the latest devices including Android, iPhone, tablet. Features built-in microphone for hands-free calling, convenient contact list import & digital phone dial pad display
- BACKUP CAMERA: Touch screen stereo includes rearview backup camera w/ installation wiring & mounting bracket. Mount in the rear of your vehicle above the license plate. Features built-in digital scale lines, tilt-adjustable lens angle & night vision
- MULTIMEDIA PLAYBACK: Front-Loading CD/DVD Player - USB Flash + Micro SD Memory Readers - Also Supports Reverse Backup Camera Connection - Rear Panel Audio (RCA) Input/Output Connector Jacks - Subwoofer (RCA) Output
- USB FLASH DRIVE PORT: Features USB reader for digital audio, image or video playback, AM/FM radio w/ 30 station memory, AUX input, RCA input/output connector jacks, subwoofer output, and video backup camera support (RCA video input/output)
Last but definitely not the least, we have the Planet Audio P9759B.
The P9759B doesn’t have the niceties of most head units. However, it’s relatively affordable.
Not to mention, it’s also fairly durable and with an excellent build quality.
Besides, even if the P9759B doesn’t have the extra features of the most expensive options on the market, it does have the basics covered.
This includes, among others, wireless remote capabilities, steering wheel control inputs, as well as video, front, sub, and rear pre amp outputs.
On top of all of this, the P9759B comes with a 3-year online warranty.
- 85 Watts x 4 Max Power, RDS Tuner, Balance/Fader/Bass/Treble and Preset built-in EQ
- Plays DVD/CD/USB/SD, MP4/MP3, WMA, FM/AM and Smart Phones
- Compatible with Audio out from Smartphones and MP3 Players
- USB, SD, Aux, AV, Rear Camera, Steering Wheel Control Inputs
- Video, Front, Rear & Sub Pre Amp Outputs
Flip out car stereos are heaven-sent for older cars that can only fit a single din setup. However, because of the number of head units that are available on the market, finding one that comes with all of the features that you need won’t come easy.
Lucky for you, we’ve done all of the hard work already. All you have to do now is to choose.
Whether you want the best of the best or want something that’s both affordable and feature-filled, we made sure to cater to all sorts of preferences, needs, and budgets.
Regardless of which one you end up choosing, rest assured that you’ll get the ideal head unit for your car stereo needs.
Last update on 2020-12-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API