Because they solve three traditional problems with amps:
large size, overheating and short battery life.
Class D amplifiers are compact, more efficient and more powerful than the traditional Class A/B amps.
This is because they convert the input analog signal into a pulse width modulated (PWM) waveform.
This allows them to switch from on to off very quickly improving efficiency and producing less heat.
Class D amps have an efficiency of about 90% while Class A/B amps have an efficiency of 50% -70%. This difference allows for a smaller size and longer battery life.
Even though Class D amps have been traditionally used for subwoofers, the size and power benefits of this technology have made them more and more popular.
So if you are ready to enjoy more trunk space and to say goodbye to overheated amps you should definitely make the change.
Best Class D Amplifier Reviews
For delivering a great punch while not breaking the bank, this CEA-2006 compliant amplifier that has a MOSFET power supply, wired remote Punch Level Control, and a frequency response range that goes comfortably from 20 Hz to 250 Hz is my number 1 pick!
It delivers everything it promises, 500 watts RMS, it is reliable and easy to install. You get Rockford Fosgate’s famous Punch Boost that combines power and a compact package.
Power phase switch drives your subwoofer and speakers at the same time that you are able to hook up the amp to any system thanks to its speaker level inputs.
The Rockford Fosgate R500X1D is our number 1 pick because it delivers a small package that balances above average performance at an amazing price!
- 300 Watts x 1 @ 4-Ohms, 500 Watts x 1 @ 2-Ohms, Frequency 20Hz to 250Hz +/-1dB
- Onboard 12dB/octave LP/HP/AP crossover & Infrasonic filter. Power Wire Gauge- 4 AWG. Power Input Connector-Screw Terminal. Suggested Alternator-75 A
- On-board Punch EQ with +18dB boost at 45Hz. Input Sensitivity: 150 mV to 4 V
- Cast Aluminum Heatsink with Stealth top mounted control panel
- Includes wired remote (Punch Level Control). High efficiency amplifier design that reduces current consumption from the charging system
This small amp- 40% smaller than previous models- has 4 channels that can deliver 50 watts RMS to your car speakers.
The Alpine MRV-F300 is versatile and can be used in 3 channel mode powering your subwoofer with 150 watts at the same time that it delivers 50 watts to your pair of speakers, or If you only use it for your bass, the 2-channel mode can send 150 watts to each subwoofer.
This Alpine amp uses Enhance Shutdown Performance technology, that rolls back output instead of shutting down completely when there is a threat of overheat, so you can continue playing your music while it cools down!
Alpine that is known for their premium car audio products presents us with a great sounding powerful and versatile amp that fits in most stereo systems while still being pretty affordable.
With a built-in digital amplifier circuit, it can efficiently sense internal temperature and automatically moderate the input level.
This price friendly amp has all the features of high-quality counterparts: Variable LPF for greater audio flexibility, Speaker line Input Sensor, Multi-block Terminal to connect up to 4 subs allowing high-power audio output and Bass Boost Remote for optimal bass level adjustment.
Furthermore, the amp comes with Pioneers new digital amplifier circuit “Protection Control System” that senses internal temperature and automatically moderates input level.
This CEA-2006 certified amp comes with a wired remote bass level control for convenience and dual speaker terminals for multiple speakers.
For a class D Amp, the Polk Audio PA D1000.1 is an excellent choice. The amp has Thermal, DC Offset, Reverse Polarity, and Short Circuit Protection and is made of stainless steel and nickel-plated wire terminals and RCA connectors that ensure maximum signal transfer.
This ultra-thin amp with a height of 2 inches and mounting convenience will fit almost any sound system and vehicle. If you are not on a budget and want a high-quality amp for an intermediate price, Polk Audio is a great pick.
- Super-efficient class D design—runs much cooler than conventional amps
- High-speed MOSFET switching—Power supply with outputs stable into 1 ohm loads
- Protection—Thermal, DC offset, reverse polarity and short circuit protection
- Nickel-plated wire terminals & RCA connectors—Ensure maximum signal transfer
- Level control—adjusts the gain of the channel to match the output voltage from your head unit
It comes with an optimized circuit layout for clear sound quality and advanced features with trusted reliable performance.
It does not have all the features of other amps that run at a higher price, but users report strong and clear sound while not overheating.
Its amazingly low price and high-performance reviews landed the Ignite Audio amplifier on the list.
It is a great amp for anyone that is starting to build a sound system and on a budget, definitely worth a try!
- 6000 Watt Monoblock Class D Amplifier
- RMS Power Rating: 1020W x 1 @ 1 Ohm / 720W x 1 @ 2 Ohms / 420W x 1 at 4 Ohms
- Frequency Response (+/- 1db): 10Hz - 300Hz
- Signal To Noise Ratio: >85dB / Sensitivity: 0.2-6V / THD: < 1%
- Dimensions: 14.84" x 8.94" x 2.05"
Last update on 2020-04-05 at 05:59 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API